Importance of an Industrial Gearbox
An industrial gearbox helps facilitate mechanical operation in different industries. The main gearboxes used by industries include Helical gearboxes, coaxial helical lines, bevel helical gearboxes, skew bevel, and worm reduction gearboxes. The main industries in which there is a large use of an industrial gearbox are:
- Paper Industry
- Cement industry
- Sugar industry
- Steel industry
Important Tips for Industrial Gearboxe Maintenance
Regular maintenance is necessary for an industrial gearbox to operate at long-term intervals. A few easy-to-do maintenance tips are given below, which help to maintain an industrial gearbox well.
- You need to Store the industrial gearbox in a dry place. It is a very necessary precondition. To minimize the risk of unworked parts, the gearbox should be placed in a safe area. Regularly clean the storage area and machine. You can easily reduce the environmental impact by keeping the equipment and work environment free of dust, dirt, and waste. Before preparing a switch, always clean the inspection ports of the gearbox. Check also the collectors of magnetic debris and filters.
- Test if the industrial gearbox is used as per the thermal and mechanical ratings recommended by the manufacturer. The gearboxes are often worked beyond the prescribed specifications of the manufacturer and work at a higher power than required. This affects equipment efficiency and reduces the shelf life of the equipment.
- To prevent overheating, the temperature of the industrial gearbox must be checked periodically. Search for variations in temperature, too. Like foamed glass, discolored housings burned marks on the housings, and disfigured plastic components can be the symptoms of overheating. To check for overheating, you can perform a faster test: spray the water on the gearbox and see if that it evaporates, boils or cracks. The gearbox becomes overheated if the water disappears.
- Dirt, dust, and moisture are still seen through the breather through the industrial gearbox. Ensure that the right breather is used to avoid this.
- Use Lubricate Regularly. This is one of the preventive maintenance’s key steps in an industrial gearbox. Always use the recommended grade and type of lubricant in a suitable amount suggested by the manufacturer. Measure the lubricant’s strength and check for sight glass or oil leakage in the shaft seals for signs of low lubrication. Oil leaks indicate that the seals may not function well and require substitution.
- For noisy environments, an industrial gearbox mostly works so its noise changes can remain unnoticed. Any irregular noise may indicate components being affected. Regular vibrations examination of the gears and internal bearings can be carried out to test for device misalignment, part cracks, etc.
But wait! What is actually a Gearbox ?
gearbox is an integral part of so many machinery parts. To ensure maximum efficiency of any gearbox, routine maintenance should be carried out. The best way to manage a gearbox is to periodically test it to assess and fix potential faults before occurring
Physical Properties of a Gearbox
The physical components of a gearbox vary between its types and the variations between manufacturers. Most gearboxes are made of iron, aluminum, or brass materials. spur gearboxes can also be produced using plastics as polycarbonates or nylons, as are other gearbox types. In addition to the raw materials used, gear teeth orientation plays an important role in the overall device performance, torque, and speed. Simple gear teeth gearboxes usually are used for low-speed use. These gearboxes can be noisy and overall, less efficient. Usually, helical gearboxes are used for high-speed applications. These gearboxes are slower in operation and can improve overall efficiency than straightening gearboxes.
Types of Gearboxes (Industrial Gearbox)